Many companies are offering height adjustable desks as well as standing and walking workstations to improve employee health – which is fantastic – but there are many other benefits often being overlooked. Movement is a critical tool to increase the ability to perform better on the job as well as at home.
Physical activity increases circulation and boosts blood flow to the brain resulting in:
- Improved cognitive performance
- Sharpened thinking
- Enhanced memory and learning
- The production of new brain cells
- Increased focus and alertness
- Improves mood
- Provides more energy
- Helps fight fatigue
- Increases resilience to stress
- Improves sleep
These are the things you need to have to be on top of your game and they’re essential for today’s fast moving, highly competitive, demanding business environments.
Considering these significant benefits, regular movement is something that MUST be part of normal corporate culture. If your company offers standing or walking tools, take advantage of them. I’m not saying you have to stand or walk the entire day, just don’t sit for longer than 1-2 hours without getting some movement.
If your company doesn’t offer them, the good news is movement doesn’t have to cost any money:
- Conduct standing meetings
- Have one-on-ones while walking
- Use a headset for your phone to stand and talk
- Make Wednesdays Sneaker Day
- Encourage the use of stairwells
What are you or your company doing to encourage more movement and performance?